Monday, October 10, 2011

{Super Easy: Autumn Wreath}

I have been on the hunt for an autumn wreath for the inside of my house and haven't found anything that I love (at least not for a price that I love).

A few months back, I saw a wreath that was made for Easter using that dreaded paper grass. Maybe it is because I am a product of my mother who hates things that make a mess, but I try avoid easter grass. It is basically a large clump of confetti and the minute it comes out of the bag, it starts to expand and scatter. No matter how quickly I try pick it up after the easter baskets are revealed, I still find strands of it under my couch 6 months later.

Taking on a craft that uses Easter grass, well let's just say, I was a little nervous.

While on one of my many trip to Michael's Arts & Crafts recently, I saw a bag of autumn colored grass. I tried to look the other way, not sure I was ready to take on this craft, but ultimately, I bought it and am happy that I did. Yes, it was a little bit of a mess, but nothing that my broom and vacuum couldn't fix.



To Make this Wreath you will need:

- 1 Styrofoam wreath ring (you can sometimes find these at the dollar store)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Decorative grass (any colors or combinations)

Directions:

The best part of this project is that it doesn't have to be perfect. Take out your foam ring, start laying globs of hot glue and sticking on the grass. If you see a hole or a spot where you want more grass, layer it on a little thicker. I did the front of the wreath, and both the outside and inside edges, there is no need to cover the back, otherwise it will not sit correctly on the wall. I am thinking about making some burlap flowers to add a little pop to this wreath - I'll post a picture once I bedazzle it up a little bit.


So there you go - a project that is fabulessly inexpensive and shows a functional use of that Easter grass that I dread buying every year but somehow end up with three bags!

Another quick tip - styrofoam rings may be the most expensive part of this project. If you really want to be savvy, take one of your old pool noodles from the summer, cut it to the size that you want and duct tape it to create a ring. Makes for a great wreath and is thicker than most styrofoam rings you can buy at this store which will make for a real chunky wreath - fabuless!

If you make a grass wreath - send us a photo and/or leave a comment - we would love to see your ideas and projects! You can also email us at: cjones014@gmail.com

sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment