Monday, October 17, 2011

{Little Leg Warmers!}

The weather is starting to get chilly here in Chicago..it is definitely called the windy city for a reason! On those extra chilly days, I like to put leg warmers on my little girl. They keep her legs warmer (hence the name) and look super cute!

I was first introduced to baby leg warmers by my good friend Allyson, who will actually be a guest blogger in the near future (keep an eye out for that!). She gave me a few pairs of homemade leg warmers at my baby shower. They were by far my favorite gift! Knowing that I also enjoy being crafty, she included an additional pair of socks that hadn't been made into leg warmers yet, so I could try it out. It's been almost a year since my shower, and I just got around to making those socks into leg warmers this past week. Finally!

So, to start..you'll need a pair of women's long socks. I get mine from target. The Xhilaration brand are at most about $2.50 a pair..some are even $1.50 or less! They have lots of cute prints and colors. Once you have your socks..you'll need to cut them. The first cut should be about 10 inches down from the top of the socks. At this point, the bottom portion should look like an ankle sock. With this bottom portion, you'll need to cut the 3 inches out of the middle to use for your leg warmers. So, you will NOT need the toe or ankle of the sock...just the middle..and the 10 inch leg portion. If I've totally confused you at this point, view the pictures below:



Now, you'll need to attach the bottom to the top. Turn the 10 inch leg portion inside out and fold the unfinished edge up about 1/2 an inch on each sock. Take the 3 inch portion and fold (roll) it in half, print side out. It should now be about 1 1/2 inches in length. When sewing, you will hold the 3 unfinished edges together. So, slide the 1 1/2 inch section up onto the leg portion and line up the 3 unfinished edges (1 from leg portion, 2 from bottom portion). Start sewing and keep re-aligning as you go around. When you're finished going around, turn the sock inside out and you have a cute leg warmer! Repeat with the second sock and any others socks you're using. It may seem somewhat confusing, but you'll get the hang of it once you get started!

See how they turned out:



I loved receiving cute leg warmers at my baby shower, and I plan to use this quick and fabuless idea for gifts in the future! They are easy to dress up too...



For those of you who don't have a sewing machine, or who don't feel quite up to this fabuless leg warmer project..I do make and sell leg warmers as well, so just let me know if you're interested by emailing us at cjones014@gmail.com.


sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment