Friday, October 28, 2011

{Fabuless Floral Arrangement!}

How many of you have ever wanted to give a friend or family member some flowers? Maybe for mother's day...a friend's birthday..a bridal shower..a new baby..and the list goes on. I'm not sure if any of you have ever checked the prices of professional floral arrangement and delivery services, but they are pricey! For those of us living on a tight budget but still wanting to give a little something special to our friends and family members..I came up with a fun and fairly simple idea :)

A paper floral arrangement!

I like buying fun prints and colors of paper when I see them on sale, and then I have some on hand for fabuless projects! My good friend Tia just had a baby boy named Simon, and I wanted to create a floral arrangement to accompany the meal I brought her family once they arrived home from the hospital. They happen to LOVE Halloween, and because their little guy was born pretty close to this amazingly fun and spooky holiday..I went with a Halloween theme. I hadn't done anything like this before, so I just started cutting and grabbing materials I had nearby. I used cardboard strips bent in half for the stems and paper cut into different sizes of squares for the flower itself and also for the leaf on the flower. I layers the squares with the smallest size on top..and made a cut in the middle of each and also from each corner to the center. I then bent the paper to give it a petal effect and shape it a bit. Take a look at the pictures below:



Once I had my flowers made, I found a medium sized vase and filled the bottom with black tissue paper (Halloween theme, remember). I then started to add a full sheet of tissue paper by pushing the center in, while still leaving room in the middle to push the stems down...once I had the flowers in, there was a lot of tissue paper spilling out under them (which looked pretty cool) I decided to make it a bit more scary by cutting it into strips and trimming it...it looked kind of like spider legs at this point. Yes!

Once I had that done, I needed to add something to the vase itself. I decided to wrap it in a sheer black ribbon, and then finished it off by attaching a "Welcome Baby Simon" cut out to the front. So fun! Check it out...




There are lots of different things you can do with this paper floral arrangement idea. Using different colors for the different holidays or seasons...adding in some fun elements like pipe cleaners or pipe cleaners wrapped in ribbon..other strands of beads...mixing it all together in a bigger or smaller arrangement. So, next time you're thinking of purchasing some flowers for someone, save some money with this fabuless idea! Let us know how it goes! :)


sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment