Wednesday, October 12, 2011

{Modern Meets Vintage: Wreath}

'tis the season for wreaths! In my 24 years, I have not yet taken on a wreath project (unless you count the wreath ornament I made when I was about seven years old), so I figured it was about time. As I thought about what type of wreath I'd like to make, I only knew one thing for sure..I wanted to incorporate fabric into it in some way. I also decided that it might be fun to do a rectangular wreath rather than a circular one..lines add a modern element to design, and we love modern!
With that in mind..I pulled out a moving box stuffed under our bed, and started cutting. For any others out there who have recently moved, I'm sure you have a box nearby that you can use for this! Here are a few pictures of the beginning process:





Once I had my shape all *squared away, I pulled out my craft supplies and got to work picking out fabrics and other materials that would work well together. I decided on using vintage-like colors and also some actual vintage materials (facing from the 1970s). With my pile of materials in order, I started cutting about 14"x 1" strips (depending on the material). You can change up the length and width depending on what you're going for. With strips in hand, I started tying..and tying..and tying..here's what my wreath looked like about half way through:


After some more tying, tucking, twisting..and tying..I felt satisfied. Take a look at the finished product:



This wreath is great all year round. It can be displayed vertically or horizontally. You'll notice I also have some ribbon tied around my flour and sugar jars underneath the wreath. Adding little touches like that really gives your space something extra. You can use any colors or textures you'd like. My advice..it's great to mix lots of different items. For example, I used cotton fabric, string, ribbon, and some facing materials..


Give it a try and let us know how it turns out! Start tying!


sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment