Sunday, October 30, 2011

{New Favorite Material: Burlap}

It's official - I have found my new favorite material to work with...burlap. There are so many possibilities, I love the color options, the texture, and surprisingly, I love the smell of it. Something about it reminds me of the fall and the renaissance fair that we used to have in elementary school. I think we used to make little coin purses out of burlap and for some reason, that memory stands out as a sweet one in my mind - I know, kind of odd.

I have seen a lot of burlap projects on Pinterest and other blogs and I had the perfect spot in my new house for a cute interior style wreath. The wall was blank and you can see it from every corner of the house it seems. Its right at the bottom of the stairs and around the corner is the kitchen so it definitely needed a little character. Not only did I LOVE how this wreath turned out, I LOVED how minimal the supplies were needed to complete it - as well as how versatile it is (you will see more about THAT below).

I started off with a wire hanger (stole it off of my husband's dry cleaned shirt - I don't iron, don't even own an ironing board so we have lots of wire hangers from dry cleaners around my house). I bought two yards of the caramel color burlap from Hobby Lobby as well as two cute clippy flowers. The burlap was about 7.00 dollars and the little clippy bows were about $3.00 a piece. For those of you who are near Hobby Lobby, you know you don't shop there without a coupon! I think my total came out to right under 10.00 dollars once I was all checked out.



I started by cutting strips of burlap between 5-6 inches. I didn't measure - I just started cutting.



Once all of the burlap was cut - I undid my wire hanger and worked with it a bit to get it in a circular shape. I then took the hanger and started threading it through the burlap and gathering it in my hand as I pushed the hanger end through the burlap. It seemed to work well to hold the burlap that I had already pushed on when trying to get the hanger to go through the next bend - I am not sure if that makes a lot of sense but hopefully the picture below will show you what I mean and you will understand if/when you make this wreath.




Once I had finished the wreath - I played it with a bit to make sure it was even in terms of where it was bunched up and took some hot glue and dabbed it on a few pieces to keep it weighted properly.



And now for the explanation of the versatility of this wreath..once the hot glue process was done, I took my little flower clippies and put them off to the right hand side of my wreath just by clipping them on. You could use any flower and could hot glue them on if you would like but I loved the idea of the little clippies because I, too, have Design ADD like our guest blogger and thought that I might want to change them out at some point for holidays or even if I decide to float this wreath into another room in my house - maybe I will finally get to use the color yellow!

annnnnnd Whalla! The wreath is done and hanging on the wall!



I love the rustic look it adds to my house! Email me with any questions - you can't fail at this project - I don't care how crafty or non-crafty you are - give it a try and I know you will be happy with the outcome! It could also make a great inexpensive Christmas gift - the holidays are just around the corner - yikes!


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! I love burlap too! I might have to make one to have around for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete