Wednesday, October 5, 2011

{All Things Autumn}

Fall is finally here...I think. Living in Vegas has totally thrown me for a loop. I spent my entire life in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. in Springfield, Virginia. If you have ever been to Virginia, you know that you get to experience all FOUR seasons and the Fall is absolutely stunning - the leaves are beautiful, the air is crisp, and the weather is perfect. In Vegas, you don't really get the Fall, but as a Virginia native, I am bound and determined to bring a little piece of home to the desert!

For today's post, I am sharing a "how to" on how to make your own holiday garland. My sister-in-law made this for me a few years ago and it has been a great addition to my house each Halloween. The kids and I both love it, and even better, it is a perfect piece to use for our Annual Trunk or Treat when we decorate the trunk of our car.

For this holiday garland, you can use any holiday lights - these ones were purchased at Target AFTER Halloween so they were on a super clearance deal (fabuless!). My garland features both bats and spiders.



Once you have selected your garland, go to your local fabric store and purchase material to use for the ties - you can also ask the store if they have fabric scraps that you could go through to use since you will only be using small strips (again...fabuless!). Once you have your materials, cut or rip strips and start tying! On my garland, my sister-in-law was ultra motivated and cut the edge of the fabric with funky scissors to give the edges a textured look - if you have time and energy to do this method, by all means...go for it!

One of my favorite parts of this project is that it doesn't have to be perfect - you don't have to follow a color pattern or stick to a color scheme. If you want to use purple and black and orange fabric - go for it..maybe even throw in some frankenstein green!

I have my garland currently wrapped around my white walls and white banister (can't wait to move in two weeks!). At night time, when it is plugged in, it adds the perfect holiday glow to the inside of your home.

If you decide to make this garland, leave us a comment and send us a photo - we would LOVE to see what you come up with!


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment