Friday, October 7, 2011

{Chevron Obsessed}

I am officially obsessed with Chevron. It is such a fun pattern that adds the perfect pop to any room or design. One of my favorite thing about it is that my husband and I both agree on the pattern - not too feminine and not too masculine. I was somewhat disapointed the other day when I went to Hobby Lobby and I asked the lady working in the fabric department if they had any chevron print material in stock. She looked at me funny - not knowing what Chevron was - so I explained the zig zag pattern to her and she replied, "Oh you mean a pattern that would make your eyes hurt every time you walked into the room?" - how sad! I guess if I decided to put it all over my house it might be overkill - but right now, I am working towards the perfect Chevron balance:)

After painting my ten dollar dresser that I bought off of Craigslist (see post below), I wanted an oversized entry rug to put in front of it. I had read about painting a rug using your everyday wall paint and thought this might be the perfect project for it. I went to Target and bought a rug on clearance for $7.00 (fabuless!). I figured if the rug didn't turn out I hadn't broke the bank on it and could chalk it up to a learning experience. I don't have any of the fun gadgets that cut out patterns or stencils, so I had to improvise. I went on Google and looked up "Chevron pattern" - I then found a link for a Chevron pattern and printed out two copies. Once I printed them, I pieced them together using tape and traced them on a scrap piece of cardboard that I had in my garage. Using a box cutter, I cut out the Chevron pattern and was ready to paint my rug!

I used the same Sherwin Williams paint that I had used on my dresser so that it would compliment my fabuless dresser. I probably could have been more of a perfectionist about this project but I was too excited to see if it would even work and just started going at it. Using a sponge brush (normal 1 inch craft brush) I painted my rug using my stencil. I measured about two inches down between each painted strip. You could make it smaller or larger depending on how you want your pattern to look.

After about an hour and a half - my $7.00 Target rug had been transformed! I absolutely love the finished project and the pop of color it adds to my front entry - (again, so excited to move out of my white wall house in a few weeks!).

Little bit of advice - if I was going to paint a rug again, I would probably use a rug that isn't so woven - the woven rug really absorbed a lot of the paint which made the rug quite stiff where the paint is BUT a little trick, you can take a hand sander to the finished project and soften it up so its not too rough on the paint and looks, well, less painted:)


If you decide to paint a rug, please leave us a comment and send us a picture! We would love to see what you come up with!


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

1 comment: