Friday, March 16, 2012

{Cardboard Box Playhouse!}

My little girl is now a big one year old..and is in exploration mode the majority of the time. I thought it'd be fun to transform a cardboard box into a playhouse, so she could have a fun hangout just for her!

I started out with a big rectangular box and decided on the general design I wanted. I cut some holes for windows and trimmed up other areas as well. I then made sure the box was sturdy in all areas, reinforcing with hot glue..




..and decided on paint colors/other materials to use...

Materials for this project:

Discarded Box (desired shape and size)
Hot Glue
Craft Paint
Ribbon
Tulle
Fabric
Cardstock


I started out by painting different portions of the playhouse different colors. I chose purple for the roof, blue for the sides, yellow for the interior, green for the floor, and hot pink for the doors. I also painted the window panes a lime green before putting pink ribbon over them...which resulted in a fun color mix. I picked out ribbon colors, sizes, and patterns to trim the main edges of the playhouse. I also added knotted Tulle for doorknobs! I personally love throwing lots of colors and patterns together, so it's rather eclectic.

Once I had the exterior painted and trimmed, I added some foam hearts to each side of the playhouse...why not right? With that done, I decided to add some fabric to the main portion of the interior. I chose a mostly yellow fabric that I had lying around because the interior was already yellow. I've used that polka dotted fabric for so many projects! With that done, I got some black card stock out and free handed some shapes, then hearts with my daughter's name cut out of them. I also cut out the letters for "WELCOME" because every playhouse needs a welcome mat of sorts, right?

Done and done. Check out the finished project and my little Cora enjoying it..







Have fun crafting your cardboard box playhouses!


sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

2 comments:

  1. That's adorable, and so is she. How crafty of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information. Was a Good read. Looking for more information. digital impact printing | digital insite printing

    ReplyDelete