Tuesday, December 13, 2011

{Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow}

Guest Blogger: {Allyson Drake, Not Your Average Joe Globes}

I have been stalking these snow globes at Anthropologie for a while, trying to talk my husband myself into spending the money to add these to my Christmas Décor collection. But alas, with these starting at $25 a piece, I didn’t get very far.


HERE

So my friend and I did some looking around and found everything we needed to get these into our homes with less damage to our wallets.

Jars: had 2 already, spent $1.50 on the third
Trees & Santa: $1.50 total at the dollar store
Snow: $3.99 (but used a 40% off coupon so it was more like $2.40 and still have over half the bag left for future Christmas crafts)
Spray glue: had.
Glitter: supplied by my generous friend Christie


Once again, I forgot a before picture. {Who else blows past their before pic and jumps right into their projects??} But we started with basic green plastic trees and a Santa, then sprayed them with white spray paint. We covered the Santa completely, but gave the trees more of a flocked look. After we let them dry {well, mostly dry} we sprayed them with spray adhesive and drenched them in glitter.



The glitter colors: Martha Stewart Smokey Quartz for Santa, and Feldspar/Aquamarine Crystal combination for the trees

To give them a little lift in the jar {so we could have more snow around the bottom of the figures} we glued them to parts of a water bottle. Cap, bottom of the bottle, and top of a bottle.
{Who doesn’t have an old bottle lying around?}.

And Voila!



I like the fake snow, but if I were to do it again I might try salt or something with a smaller, finer texture. This snow makes me want to eat something sprinkled with coconut.

I still really want one in a salt shaker like the Anthropologie one pictured above, or something fun like that… So maybe I’ll have to add to the collection next year.
But until then..


..they’ve found their spot with my wreath.


sincerely fabuless, Allyson in California
for the holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! I must make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on the lookout for salt shakers at yard sales this spring! These are fabuless!

    ReplyDelete