Tuesday, December 20, 2011

{Blockin' Around the Christmas Tree}

Blocks. Most kids love blocks. The only problem with the classic wooden blocks is the fact that they are really hard. How do we solve this problem? We make pillow blocks!

I was trying to come up with a fun Christmas gift I could make for my friend's little baby boy, so I got on the computer to find some inspiration. I came across some blocks made out of fleece, with unfinished edges and a felt duck cut out and stitched on. I wasn't in love with them, but I did find some inspiration and took it to the next level.

I have lots of fun fabrics that I've used for multiple projects, so I pulled those out and started selecting prints that would work for a baby boy (a lot of my stuff is girly!). I then traced around a square tissue box (thank you Kleenex!) to create the different sides of my blocks.


With the sides cut out, I arranged them to see how the block would come together. Each block requires 6 squares.


Let the sewing begin. *I cut out a few shapes and also the letter "S" for "Simon" out of felt, and sewed those on to the right sides of a few of the squares (so each block would have a couple felt shapes). Then I started sewing two squares together at a time..at their common edge (with right sides facing each other). Gradually it took on a box shape, and when I got to the last edge, I left about 2 inches open for the stuffing process.


Once each of the blocks had been sewn..I turned them right side out, pushed the corners out, and I stuffed them using leftover stuffing from the pillow I took apart for a previous project (see Zip It..Button It..)..fabuless. When they were stuffed to my liking, I hand stitched them shut.


When the time came to wrap this little Christmas gift, I tried tying a bow around the blocks but it just wasn't working out, so I decided to make a bag for them! I love the impulsive sewing projects! I didn't really measure anything. I just cut three strips of fabric and sewed them together (same process as with the blocks..right sides facing each other). I then cut a square for the bottom and attached it to the rectangular piece. I added a drawstring to the top by folding an edge over and pulling it through. Done!


My little Cora will be getting some blocks as one of her Christmas presents this year too! I'll add a picture once I've finished them! Have fun blockin' around the Christmas tree!

Here are Cora's blocks..and the bag I made for them...


**this was before I stitched the openings shut**



sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment