Tuesday, December 6, 2011

{Holiday Happenings}

The Windy City is getting especially cold and windy this time of year, so Cora and I decided to hop on a plane and visit my family in Virginia for a couple of weeks. I've been here for about a week and a half so far, and the majority of my evenings have been filled with "crafting" as I like to call it. A lot of what I've been making are items I can't post about yet because they'll be included with Christmas gifts for friends and family this year..and I wouldn't want them getting a sneak peek on the blog! *so I apologize for withholding some craftiness! Back to my original thought about being here in Virginia..

My mom told me the other day that I've brought Christmas cheer to our home since I've arrived..I consider that a great compliment! The home as is..is very beautiful, but with Christmas decor it has transformed into a cozy holiday retreat! I have always been the one wanting to put up the Christmas tree the day after thanksgiving (maybe even sooner! haha)..in fact, McKay and I put up our tree (in Chicago) and other holiday decor a few days before Thanksgiving this year :) Something magical happens once your tree is decorated and you turn on the lights! Whether your tree is filled with family ornaments, beautiful and shiny bulbs, snowflakes and snowmen, ribbons and bows, or even strands of popcorn..each is so special in their very own way!

This year, my mom mentioned that she may want a more formal Christmas tree. She had seen some beautiful ornaments when she visited Germany, but they were really pricey, so she was hoping I could find some at a reasonable price. We decided on the colors red and gold. I found beautiful and elegant ornaments at both Wal Mart and Target..about 35 ornaments for $15! I purchased a pack of red and a pack of gold and was on my way..fabuless! My mom had some red and gold/ivory bows from previous years that I incorporated into the tree as well. I also added in a few of the really special ornaments..because we all have ornaments that pull at our heart strings a little bit. For example..my parent's 10 year anniversary ornament..and my mom's Chatty Cathy ornament :)

Take a look at the tree...






Yes, Chatty Cathy is missing a shoe..but most loved ornaments are missing one thing or another, right?

I was also able to find some great deals on garland and bows at Michael's craft store. Garland was 50% off, so each piece of 18 foot garland ended up being only $3! And, they had lots of simple but nice bow options for $1.99 each. Go check it out if you still need to pick up some of these items!



It's still the first week of December, so make it your goal to finish up your decorating so you can enjoy the cozy feel of the holidays for a bit longer this year.

**Comment if you have any fun decor ideas you'd like to share!


sincerely fabuless, the not so windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment