Thursday, November 10, 2011

{Operation: Learn to LOVE the Bath}


It is block (two) weeks around my house right now which means I am a single mother of two little boys who are lost without their daddy. Yes, this is the life of a medical student's wife. Every six weeks, my Bri has ohhh between 9-10 exams over the course of 6 class days which means studying around the clock for about two weeks straight. To be honest, I am amazed and proud of how hard he is working, but it does get lonely around the house and the boys and I miss him. This block week has been extra special - our water heater went out and had to be replaced, my little Owen has been up at night coughing like crazy, and Brian's car is now leaking oil and has to be taken to the shop tomorrow - yes, life is fabuless!:)

During block week exams, I try to think of things to do with the kids to keep all three of us happy with each other. Pinterest has been a life saver for this! Recently while browsing, I found an idea for making your own bath paint - genius! I always pass by the bath crayons and bath paint when I'm at Target, Wal-mart, the grocery store - and I have probably picked them up a dozen times and then put them back - just not sure they were worth the price. BUT make my own bath paint - yes, please.

My family has laughed at me my whole life because I LOVE to take baths - I know there are a lot of people who hate to sit in the bath, but I just don't understand that. I could take a bath every day and when I am sick or pregnant (no, I'm not pregnant), I usually take 2-3 baths a day. Yes, call me crazy, but its my go to place. Recently, my four year old decided he hates the bath - that just isn't going to fly in this house. When I saw the bath paint, I was convinced that this was going to make my little man learn to appreciate my beloved tub time.

What you need:

- Muffin tin (not the mini muffins - regular size)
- Foaming shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Paint brushes


How to:

I used my regular muffin tin - but the original instructions suggest using a silicon muffin tray - which I think would be lovely, I just don't have one. Using your muffin tray, take your food coloring and put a few drops of each color into each of the muffin dividers. Once your food coloring is in, take your foaming shaving cream (thank goodness we bought it at Costco because hopefully the hubby hasn't noticed we went through one of his bottles already - whoops) and fill each muffin tin with the shaving cream. Next, take one of the paint brushes and mix the coloring into the foam and HELLO fabuless! The "paint" looks like colorful whipped cream - kind of like the food fight scene in the movie Hook (always wanted to re-create that BTW). More importantly, it lasts a long time - my little bath hater stayed in the bath for an hour and half the other night and practiced writing his name and other letters all over my tub - fun and educational - a win-win!

More importantly - this type of bath paint doesn't leave any annoying residue on your tub - it's easy to clean. How many of you remember cleaning your classroom desks with shaving cream in elementary school? If we used it to clean our desk, its got to be good for the tub, right? (P.S. - totally loved cleaning my desk with shaving cream - if you are a teacher, you need to let your students experience it..it's kind of magical).

To answer a question I got about this project - no, it didn't leave dye on my kids skin - the water turned quite green from the paint hitting the water but it didn't stay on my kids skin - they were squeaky clean :)

If you have little ones - TRY this - you will NOT be disappointed - it is so much fun! We did it for the first time last week and have probably painted in the bath five times since then. I am starting to think I need to put a chair in my bathroom because they stay in the bath so long it hurts my back to just sit on the floor and watch.


And most importantly - thank you Jill Dubien at meetthedubiens.blogspot.com for sharing this great idea!

(photo compliment of Jill Dubien)

sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment