Saturday, November 5, 2011

{Let There Be Lamps!}

Guest Blogger: {Allyson Drake, Re-vamping Lamps!}

Hey there. Allyson again. Hoping to light up your life with this next post.

A few years ago I fell in love with the classy glassy look and, as fate would have it, found this little beauty at TJ Maxx {yes, I’m a Maxxinista} and convinced the Huz to let me buy it. I believe I used the argument that if in the future I decided I liked something better and wanted to replace it, this would be pretty in a little girl’s room.

Then we had a boy.

BUT it’s ok, because I STILL love it. In fact, I am obsessed with glassy lamps. But this would be the last lamp I buy at {semi} full price.



After this purchase I began looking at thrift stores for glass lamps to make over and found this one… {sorry I realized half way through that I forgot to take a before pic}


Then while thrifting on a visit to Idaho I found these beauts for $5 each.

Lampshade from Ikea As-Is for $2, plus trim I had already. Easy schmeezy.

And just recently these lovely ladies appeared in the lobby of our apartment building
{the designated spot for unwanted, discarded items that need a loving home}


So I bought two $13 lampshades at Target and found these lamps a home in our bedroom. Which, I must exclaim… $26 for TWO lamps?! Let alone CLASSY GLASSY lamps?!
Welcome to the family.

Now, as seen in the first few lamps of this post, I always disassemble and give them a coat of spray paint.
Also, I often give them new, more reliable wiring {sometimes the peace of mind is worth the $10 for a new cord kit at Home Depot. To find a how-to I just Googled rewiring lamps, or check out this video}. But I like the soft brass look of these… at least for now. They might be a little Grandma-Chic, but I think with the more updated shade they look pretty sweet.

So next time you’re thrifting, or yard-sale-ing {real words around our house}, don’t pass up the lamps to re-vamp!


sincerely fabuless, Allyson in Philly.

1 comment: