Friday, September 30, 2011

{Three Ripe Bananas}


I don't know about you, but it seems like every time I buy bananas there are ALWAYS three that never get eaten and that sit on my counter and continue to ripen. Every day I look at them and think, I need to make banana bread before these things get too ripe! Unfortunately, there have been many sad occasions where those three remaining bananas are tossed because, well, I just ran out of time or, I maybe I was just sick of banana bread.

A little trick my sister Courtney taught me: You can FREEZE your ripened bananas! How wonderful it is to look at those three remaining bananas and be able to say stop ripening, I don't have time to make banana bread today but maybe in a week!

A few weeks ago, those three bananas were once again, on my counter. It was time to make banana bread - but I didn't want it. Instead, I was curious what a banana bread cookie would taste like, so I turned to one of my favorite "Foodies" website: www.foodgawker.com.

Food Gawker is an awesome site - you type in what you are looking for or an ingredient you want to cook up and a grid of PICTURES (not recipes) show up. From the pictures, you can decide which one looks the tastiest and then click on the picture, which then takes you to another site/blog with the recipe - genius! It is like using Pinterest.com but just for food.

I typed in banana bread cookies and this is what I came up with - and they were delicious! More importantly, they were easier for the kids to eat (not as crumbly or messy) than a slice of banana bread or a muffin.


Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
adapted from Buns in My Oven, source: Allrecipes.com

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375.

In the bowl of your mixer cream together the butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Mix in the mashed bananas, oats, and chocolate chips until well incorporated. Drop by rounded spoonful (or use a cookie scoop) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.



This fabuless recipe is a must have in your recipe box! If you have a chance to make them, leave a comment and let us know what you thought of the cookies!


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

1 comment: