Wednesday, September 28, 2011

{Craigslist Jackpot!}

Living in Vegas - there is nothing that feels as good as striking Jackpot.....on Craigslist. Honestly, I get a rush when I find something for a good price with great potential and I get that email or call back that says - its yours, come and pick it up.

About a month ago, I did my nightly search on Craigslist, searching for that perfect piece to give a fresh coat of paint. I came across this dresser that was listed for a whooping TEN dollars - yes, you read that correctly! You can't even buy that much wood for ten dollars. The piece is really old so its made well - dove tail and heavy, not like today's very pricey mostly particle board furniture. I sent my husband (who never questions me and my odd requests) out to go pick up this dresser and I got to work! t A few hours later this dresser was transformed from "dingey old storage unit dresser" to my "Anthropologie inspired dresser" - I was more than happy with the results.


How To:

I started by sanding the dresser down - the top had some sort of laminate type finish so I just dulled it. I then gave it a fresh coat of primer and couldn't wait to pop open the lid to the my paint color from Sherwin Williams. The paint worked really well so I did do two coats to maximize my coverage - but it probably didn't need it. Once the paint dried, I used a Walnut Stain and just went to town on the piece - covering it. With stain, you get about 15 minutes to play with it so you may want to work in segments. After I applied the stain, I went back with an old towel and just started wiping it all off. Sounds counter-productive doesn't it? It is so NOT counter-productive - its a great trick to for giving a piece that Anthropologie distressed look - adding texture and dimension and is SO EASY.


In a few weeks we are moving to a new house - I can't wait to have a blank canvas to start over with and re-arrange my furniture and decor. Stay tuned to see how I plan to use THIS dresser in our new house...


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

2 comments:

  1. I know it's cheaper than Anthro but I saw a piece JUST like this, exact color, in Home Goods yesterday for $499 and thought of you! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful...I'm in love with the color! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete