Monday, January 16, 2012

{Product Review: Sally Hansen Salon Effects}


Image compliments of All Lacquered Up

We are long overdue for a fabuless product review! During one of my recent necessary (so not necessary) trips to Target, I came across the Sally Hansen Salon Effects zebra print nails. I have wanted to try these since last month when they caught my eye on the hand of my BFF Kristina Myers (http://bittersweet-kitchen.blogspot.com). Fortunately, Kristina is always on the forefront of new style and fashion tips and keeps me in "the know" while I live in my little boy world:)

Although I am a mom, I refuse to give into the notion that I should wear mom jeans and lose myself in this work. Instead, I prefer to do just the opposite and take extra care of myself to make sure I feel good. My sisters have laughed at me since I was little because I defined the saying, "all dressed up with no where to go...". Even at a young age I would sit around in heels on a Saturday with no plans. Although every day isn't perfect, I still try to get a good work out in, shower, and put on a cute outfit, even though sometimes I only make it to my backyard trampoline.

Now back to the product...

I don't paint my nails - not by myself at least. I am no "Steady Eddie" and my hand shakes. Lauren has always enjoyed seeing my attempts for good comic relief. This summer I made one attempt and my little Owen asked if I needed a band-aid because he thought my fingers were bleeding. Not only am I terrible at painting but it's hard to keep my hands manicures with my various mom duties.

I bought the Sally Hansen Salon Effects at Target for $8.54 (the cheapest I have seen them), and it only took about 15 minutes to apply them and it was easier than I expected. With my history of painting, I was nervous that I would have a shaky hand and that the stickers would go on wrong. The good news is, the stickers actually are nail polish (they even smell like polish) and they aren't overly sticky - it must be something with the natural heat in your nail that adheres them. You can put them on and pull it back off if you don't get it close enough to your cuticle. You use a buffer to smooth it out and then file off the excess part of your nail.

It is a definite must to make sure your nails are as clean as possible and that your cuticles are pushed back for best look and adherence to your nail.

I was impressed with how easy the nails were to put on and how cute they looked considering I keep my nails short. I never go get an actual manicure because I am nervous that they will laugh at the fact that I am coming for a manicure with a lack of a nail. The box says that the nails will last for 10 days. I think that is 10 days for someone who never does dishes without gloves and doesn't have to open 10 jars of play-doh per day. My nails lasted about five days, but that is five days more than I usually have them painted.

For me personally, I don't know if I would buy them again for every day wear, but if I had somewhere special to go or a special occasion coming up like a wedding, I would probably do these again (half the price of a professional manicure).

I would definitely recommend these nails if you don't have to overuse your hands and/or for special occasions! Feel free to comment or email me with any questions and let me know if you decide to try them!


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment