Monday, January 23, 2012

{Curtain Call}

As you all know, I live in the windy city with my husband and little girl. Chicago is awesome! One of my favorite things about our condo is the floor to ceiling windows..especially when it's snowing outside..beautiful.

The thing about living in a high rise building in the city is that they typically have quite a few rules for the tenants..one of these rules being that you cannot remove the blinds and replace them with curtains because it will affect the view on the exterior of the building. You can, however, hang curtains on the interior of the blinds. I've been wanting to get some curtains up in Cora's bedroom for a while now. I figured making curtains out of sheets would work..and would cut down on the cost as well. I already had some red sheets that weren't in use so I just purchased a set of twin turquoise blue sheets on clearance at target ($7.98!)..fabuless! I decided to cut the flat sheets of each color length wise and then sew them back together in strips of different widths.

I measured the height and width of our windows and sewed my curtains accordingly. If you want to have a really gathered look you'll want to make the curtains wider than your windows by a few feet.

I sewed two separate sections (so I'd be able to open the curtains with a section pushed to the left and the other pushed to the right). Each section is made of 5 strips of the sheet fabric sewn together. (Sew by placing right sides together and leaving at least 1/2 an inch for your seam). You can really do whatever you'd like with this. You can sew smaller strips together..or bigger strips..or all in the same sheet color..4 sections..3 sections..whatever works! The only "must dos" from this project are.. to sew the curtains to the right length according to your window size and fold over the top a few inches to be able to slide the curtain rod through. Other than that..have fun with it.

Check out some pictures of my curtain process:








Let us know if you make some curtains of your own! Have a fabuless time!


sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment