Friday, January 6, 2012

{Prospero Ano: Cafe Rio Recipes}

Did you like my attempt to incorporate Spanish into my blog post title? I'm not even sure if that is correct, but I have heard it in the Feliz Navidad song and I'm assuming I am wishing you a Happy New Year - You're welcome.

For those of you who have done your four years (BYU) in Provo, Utah - you are definitely familiar, if not overly familiar with Cafe Rio. My husband thinks they must put estrogen in their food because all the girls in Utah are borderline obsessed with Cafe Rio. Being from the east coast, whenever I traveled to Utah, Cafe Rio was definitely one of my first meal stops. I remember when we moved out of Utah back to Virginia, we went to Cafe Rio right before we left and I was sad as I took my last bite - seriously, I am almost embarrassed to admit that. Now that we live in Nevada, I have been reunited with Cafe Rio, so life is good. While I have been living out here in Nevada, this favorite little Mexican chain of mine has made its way back to my homeland in Virginia, which is great news for all of you back in VA (and Maryland).

Well now that I have shared my love for Cafe Rio, I am also going to share the Cafe Rio recipes that I have on hand and pass out often! There is nothing better than going to the restaurant, but I would say that these recipes are as close as you can get - especially the black beans.

These are great recipes if you are having friends over or are planning a family dinner. It takes some preparation but it goes a long way!

Please note - the recipes below are probably for a family of four to eat on the rice and beans. Sometimes I do 5 - 6 the amount on the beans and keep them warm in a crock pot. Just eyeball what you think your group will eat and go from there.

Cafe Rio Recipes




Café Rio Lime Rice
Ingredients:
1 c white rice
2 T chicken broth, + broth to cook rice in
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T garlic powder
1 T dried minced onion
Pinch of salt

Directions:
Cook all ingredients for rice directions, substituting chicken broth for water. When rice is done, add…

1/2-1 c chopped cilantro
1 T fresh lime juice
1 c green
enchilada sauce


Café Rio Pork
Ingredients:
3lb Pork roast (butt or shoulder)
1 c Worcestershire sauce
1 t dried oregano
1 t powdered ginger
1 t salt
1 t chili powder
1 t garlic powder
2 T dried minced onions

Directions:
Cook all ingredients in a crock pot all day. One hour before serving, remove roast and shred it, dump out cooking juices. Put shredded pork back into crock pot and add…

1 c dark brown sugar
1 c red enchilada sauce


Cafe Rio Black Beans
**You may want to double this if your family loves black beans**
Ingredients:
1 can black beans
1/3 cup tomato juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro

Directions:
Heat oil, cumin, and garlic. Throw in the rest until warm.


Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
Ingredients:
Place the following in a blender:
3 tomatillos, peeled and cut in 1/4’s
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 c mayo
1/2 c sour cream
1 pkg dry ranch buttermilk dressing
1 c fresh chopped cilantro
6 green onions, with ends
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 t sugar
1 jalapeno, sliced thin, and added to taste

Directions:
Mix well, refrigerate 1 hour.


sincerely fabuless, Las Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment