Sunday, February 12, 2012

{In Love. . .with Yarn}

It's official. I'm in love with yarn.

If you are hoping to read about something related to knitting or crocheting then you may be disappointed. I did buy all the tools necessary to learn those skills a few years back (to my husband's dismay..he knows me very well), but I haven't found a real use for the yarn until just recently...

With Valentine's Day approaching quickly, you may need some ideas on gift wrap. My big idea...use yarn! I generally like to start by wrapping the item/box with brown wrapping paper. This gives it a nice clean, simple look..which gives you the perfect opportunity to do something fun with colorful yarn! (I incorporated some ric rac to add interest). You can also forgo the wrapping paper altogether and just use the brown boxes (in LOTS of shapes and sizes) available at most craft stores..I know Michael's and Hobby Lobby have them for sure. Check out some photos of my funky yarn bow...


I also did a smaller package and used similar colors...


{I have another fun yarn idea that I'm planning to use for Cora's birthday gifts (just a couple of weeks away!), and I'll post a picture once the wrapping is complete! :)}

**On a side note, if you don't have time to go out and grab a card for a gift..just use card stock and cut two pieces..one for the envelope and one for the card itself. Fold the larger of the two in a way that leaves the front of the envelope shorter than the back. Use your sewing machine and stitch along the sides to secure it (our guest blogger Allyson did this for one of the cards she gave me a while back and I've always wanted to try it out!). Add something to the top of the card (as it will be sticking out of the envelope a bit), and you're good to go.


Now on to my FAVORITE yarn project so far. When we started our blog almost 6 months ago (has it really been that long?!?), I posted about using Tulle for decor in a kids room. Tulle is old news in my book. I decided to spice up the storage in Cora's room using yarn instead. It definitely goes better with the other decor items in her room, and it turned out super cute!


I measured around my storage boxes and cut a few pieces of yarn in each color then tied it around, securing in the back (so it's not seen!), and then separated the yarn strands. I created some fun accent pieces using yarn and tied those on the front. The round, pink flower-esque piece is made by wrapping yarn around your hand..and then pulling off and tying a separate piece of yarn around the middle, then flattening and pulling the sides out in a way to create the final shape. The orange octopus-like shape was made by cutting about 8 pieces (10" each) of orange yarn and then folding them over together..and tying a separate piece of yarn (4") around the top fold. I then spread it out a bit on top. You'll notice there is some green behind that accent piece..that is a bow I made and wasn't in love with..so I used it as just kind of a backdrop for the other one. The three poms at the bottom are made just like the first (flower-esque) piece, but rather than leaving the folds as is..you cut them to give it the pom effect! I thought it'd be fun to use three of varying sizes and tie them all together, so that's what I did!






I hope I've inspired you to think outside the box with yarn! Let us know if you do anything fun with it!


sincerely fabuless, the windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment